top of page

The Algoma Community Legal Clinic is a law office in Sault Ste. Marie, ON funded by

Legal Aid Ontario. It is staffed by lawyers, community legal workers and support staff, who provide free legal advice and representation to eligible clients in certain areas of law.

Welcome to the
Algoma Community Legal Clinic Website

Our Legal Services

Legal Representation

You may qualify for representation by the legal clinic if:

1. You live in Sault Ste. Marie or in the western part of the Algoma District;

2. You are within the financial eligibility guidelines adopted by our

Board of Directors (if your earnings are limited or if you receive social assistance, employment insurance or a government pension, you probably qualify); and

3. You require assistance in one of the following areas:

  • Social Assistance, including Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program Benefits and Family Benefits

  • Canada Pension Plan Benefits

  • Old Age Security Pensions

  • Residential Tenancies

  • Rent Increases and Rent Review

  • Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing, Social Housing

  • Criminal Injuries Compensation

  • Employment Insurance

  • Human Rights

In these areas of law, we may act for you in court or before an administrative tribunal. We may also assist you in representing yourself or in making official complaints.

We may also be able to assist you by commissioning affidavits and/or notarizing documents in the areas of laws in which we practice.


Serving the Algoma community by addressing the legal needs of low income residents.


We are committed to protecting the legal rights of low income residents in Algoma by providing a range of advocacy and legal services in a quality and efficient manner.


This site provides general information only, specific to Ontario, Canada. It is NOT legal advice. Laws, practices and policies change over time. The applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should get legal advice for your particular situation.

Please call us or a lawyer in your area for advice on your particular situation.

bottom of page