top of page

Home - Legal Information - Housing Law

Housing Law

We can help with housing problems, including:

  • Your landlord wants to evict you

  • You have already received an eviction order from the Landlord and Tenant Board

  • Your rent subsidy is going to be cut off

  • The superintendent is harassing you

  • You are a co-op member and the co-op wants to evict you

In some cases, if you are within our financial criteria, we can represent you before the Landlord and Tenant Board. In other cases, we can provide advice and/or written documentation such as self-help material to guide you in attending your hearing at the Landlord and Tenant Board. We do not currently assist tenants with bringing applications about maintenance and repairs to the Landlord and Tenant Board.

We cannot assist landlords. They can, however, contact Landlord Self-Help at 1-800-730-3128.

The Steps to Justice website offers step-by-step information about housing and other common legal problems.

Algoma Community Legal Clinic

Queenscentre Building

477 Queen Street East, Suite 301

Sault Ste. Marie, ON  P6A 1Z5

Phone: 705-942-4900

Toll Free: 1-800-616-1109

Fax: 705-942-6894

Email: ‎


Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario – ACTO

Apply for social housing

City of Sault Ste. Marie By-Law Enforcement

Electrical Safety Authority

Landlord’s Self-Help Centre

Rental Housing Enforcement Unit

Local Shelters

St. Vincent Place - Mens Shelter

222 Albert Street East, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 2J4 


Women in Crisis (Algoma)

23 Oakland Ave., Sault Ste Marie, ON P6A 2T2

bottom of page