Criminal Injuries Compensation Board

(Information Current as of March 30, 2018) 

The CICB assesses and awards financial compensation for victims and family members of deceased victims of violent crimes committed in Ontario.

The CICB can compensate victims for pain and suffering, loss of income, treatment expenses, funeral expenses and other costs that result from being a victim of the crime.

The CICB is committed to the principles of the Victims' Bill of Rights, 1995, which states that all victims should be treated with courtesy, compassion and respect for their personal dignity and privacy.

The CICB does not provide emergency services to victims of crime.

  • If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

  • To find out about services for victims in your area, call the Victim Support Line anytime at 1-888-579-2888 or 416-314-2447 or search the Victims Services Directory.

Victims may also qualify for assistance from other government programs such as the Financial Assistance for Families of Homicide Victims or the Victim Quick Response Program.

Who is eligible?

If you have been physically or psychologically injured as a result of a violent crime that took place in Ontario, you may be entitled to compensation. A violent crime can be assault, sexual assault, child abuse, domestic assault or murder.

Family members who were dependent on a person who died as a result of a violent act can also apply for compensation. In addition, someone who saw or came upon the scene of an incident that resulted in death, if they meet the criteria for a finding of mental or nervous shock can apply.

In order to receive compensation, you need to file an application. The application asks you to explain what happened. Applications must be made within two years of the date of the incident, however extensions may be considered.

Our Clinic provides service to people who want to apply to the

Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. If you need assistance with your application or hearing, we will meet with you to review your case. If we feel that your case has merit, we can assist in filling out your application. We may provide you with representation at your hearing.

What is covered?

The following list provides examples of types of compensation that the Board may award: treatment expenses, travel to treatment expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and loss of financial support.

How do I apply for compensation?

You can find an application form on the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board website, . If you prefer you may contact the Board to ask for an application form to be sent to you.

What happens after I submit my application?

After sending in your application, a number will be assigned to your file and it will be sent to you.

The CICB will then begin looking at your application and communicate with you if they need any more information. The Board will look at the documents that you provide. These documents may include medical reports, counselling reports, police reports, receipts among other types of documents. In some situations, our clinic can assist in obtaining documents.

The Board may also contact the police service involved, the court that issued the decision (if the matter went to trial) , your doctor, therapist, or other professionals that provide treatment.

Once the board has obtained the necessary information they will schedule a hearing. This hearing may take place in person (oral hearing). It may also be a documentary or electronic hearing. The Board will tell you the time, location and type of hearing.

After the hearing the CICB will send you a letter informing you of the decision. If they have awarded you compensation, a cheque will be attached to the letter. If not, they will explain the reasons for their decision and will explain how you can review or appeal it.


This site provides general information only, specific to Ontario, Canada. It is NOT legal advice. Laws, practices and policies change over time. The applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should get legal advice for your particular situation.

Please call us or a lawyer in your area for advice on your particular situation.

Algoma Community Legal Clinic

Queenscentre Building

477 Queen Street East, Suite 301

Sault Ste. Marie, ON  P6A 1Z5

Phone: 705-942-4900

Toll Free: 1-800-616-1109

Fax: 705-942-6894

Email: ‎

Proudly Funded by:

Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm

Closed for lunch Monday-Thursday 12:00-1:15 pm &

Friday 12:00-1:30 pm

Copyright © 2021 Algoma Community Legal Clinic Inc.